Friday, November 16, 2012

(Spoilers) My Prediction for how The Walking Dead will end

As the final episode of The Walking Dead nears release, I thought I would make an attempt to spoil the game by giving my speculation as to how the game will end.

I have no advanced knowledge, nothing has been leaked (as far as I know), nor do I have any connection with Telltale Games. This is just purely how I, as a writer, think that it would be best to end the game, taking into consideration all of the plot buildup and development thus far.

First, the ending.

Lee will not survive the bite, but I do believe he will essentially find and save Clementine. However, a series of events will isolate him with her, and she will be with him as the life finally fades away from him.

Clementine will be forced to shoot and kill Lee as he turns into a zombie. Whether or not she is capable of doing it will depend on what the player taught her thus far in the story, and being sufficiently soft with Clementine will probably result in a zombified Lee killing her. This will tie together the overall narrative of Lee's relationship with Clementine and give a suggestion as to what kind of person Clementine will become.

It would be a nice touch if the game recalled Lee training Clementine how to use a gun as she aims the pistol at the ailing Lee.

Good, don't lock your elbows.
Squeeze the trigger smoothly, and I'll cover your ears.
Nice and easy.
Bang.


The final memories Lee will recall as he dies.

And thus will end the story of Lee.

I can't speculate much as to the other parts of the story. There will, of course, have to be a major conflict introduced; I think it will likely be centered around the mysterious man who watched Lee bury the zombie child and the person who was talking to Clementine on her walkie talkie. I believe these are likely the same people.

Furthermore, I think this is likely Crawford, the despot who was presumably disposed of sometime before the last episode. This, however, is a somewhat controversial opinion, because a lot of fans seem to think that Crawford was the zombie hung in the bell tower who grabs Ben. My reasoning for this is simply that they have some resemblance to each other, and it was hinted that the "mystery man" was following you through Crawford, suggesting that he was familiar with the area and that the survivors there were turned to zombies.

This is pretty weak, however -- and I'll fully admit that. Thus, I don't hold to it as a strong opinion. Furthermore, from a writing standpoint, there isn't much of a good reason to move the plot forward this way except to tie up a lot of the lose ends in a unified way.


Crawford? Walkie Talkie guy? One in the same?

Another potential source of conflict is the zombie horde that we escaped from via the train in Episode 3. I wouldn't be surprised if they catch up the survivors in Savannah.

Anyway, those are my predictions. Some are pretty weak, I'll admit, but I promise to keep this up even if I'm proven horribly wrong.

Also, if you haven't bought this game yet, GO BUY IT NOW. It's one of the few good games released this year, and Telltale deserve support.

No comments:

Post a Comment