Saturday, November 17, 2012

Spike's Video Game Awards are fucking terrible

Guess who?
Well, it's that time of the year I guess. Spike has opened voting on their Video Game Awards and, as such, has revealed their nominees. Let's do a rundown of some of their choices, shall we?

This won't be exhaustive, just some preliminary things I noticed.

GAME OF THE YEAR
Asscreed 3 - terrible
Dishonored
Journey
Ass Effect 3 - so bad it literally ruined the franchise
The Walking Dead

BEST XBOX 360 GAME
Asscreed 3 - multiplat and terrible
Borederlands 2 - multiplat and terrible
Dishonored - multiplat
Halo 4 - the only 360 exclusive nominated

BEST PS3 GAME
Asscreed 3 - multiplat and terrible
Borederlands 2 - multiplat and terrible
Dishonored - multiplat
Journey - only PS3 exclusive nominated

BEST WII/WII-U GAME
New Super Mario Bros. U - not released yet
The Last of Us
Xenoblade Chronicles - no complaints, potentially GOTY for me
ZombiU - not released yet

BEST PC GAME
Diablo 3 - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Guild Wars 2
Torchlight 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown - multiplat

BEST SHOOTER
Borederlands 2 - emphasis on the "bored"
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - you probably can guess my opinion on this
Halo 4 - slow console shooter
Max Payne 3 - killed the franchise

Notice: no PC shooters. No Natural Selection II. Not even Tribes: Ascend, or Spec Ops: The Line, which essentially told the video game industry what a bunch of twats they were being by dumbing down and glorifying warfare in these modern military shooters.

BEST DLC oxymoron amirite?
Dawnguard - Skyrim
Leviathan - Mass Effect 3
Mechromancer Pack - Borderlands 2
Perpetual Testing Initiative - Portal 2 - the only one that's free

I don't know if I should laugh or cry that this is even a category.

Games that they missed:
Faster than Light
Tribes: Ascend
Awesomenauts
Legend of Grimrock
Hotline: Miami
Spec Ops: The Line
La-Mulana

All these games are miles better than many of the others on their lists.

I always derive a perverse pleasure from witnessing the annual spectacle of the VGAs collectively giving fellatio to big name developers (Mass Effect 3 is potentially game of the year -- really?), so I eagerly await the results of their little popularity contest. I know this should be beneath me, but, well -- I can't help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment