Friday, November 16, 2012

All Hail King Dewritos the Beneficent, Bringer of the Halos



Video game “journalism” drama -- and if I could make those quotation marks the size of the collective irrelevancy to actual journalism by those who claim to conduct it in this industry, I would -- is so hilarious to me that I must confess to deriving a small amount of carnal satisfaction from these whole ordeals. It is especially salacious when we get photo-ops of journalists with conspicuously placed products. So lewd!

The most recent scandal we have been privy to is the dismissal of Eurogamer’s Robert Florence amidst threats of libel. This has sparked an almost philosophical discussion about the nature of bias in journalism, especially when subject to certain economic or institutional constraints.
I intend to cover the topic of bias in journalism at a later time, but for now I would simply like to take a moment to clarify my point of view with regards to bias in the content that I create.

Basically, I’m going to be biased as fuck. I don’t care. But I will always be up front about it, and will disclose any relationships I have with developers or other commercial interests (i.e. none -- probably ever).

I’m of the opinion that readers of those who review video games generally come back because they appreciate, and tend to agree with, the reviewer’s analysis. So, in that respect, I will at least attempt to remain honest and consistent, even if I can be a bit polemic sometimes.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment